Before we bring a tender newborn pet into our house, we should do all the preparation to make their stay comfortable and secure. Since it’s a new environment, the little one takes some time to adapt to the surroundings. To make this process compatible and easier all the necessary supplies right from the cage, comfortable bedding, feeding items, activity and play area, litter boxes and toys should be bought. Since these creatures are very active and exercise a lot, huge and taller cages with enough space to jump and play entertains your pet.
Top rated rat bedding options are available at various pet stores, As per www.petmd.com, your little friend spends a lot of time in their cage, the bedding should be always very clean and appropriately suit to their body requirements and avoid any serious ailments. Certain considerations while choosing the bedding are:
• Quality- The type of material used vary from wood, paper pulp and shreds to cloths.
• Quantity – Since the cages should be regularly cleaned and the bedding needs to be changed. Therefore sufficient number should be bought.
• Cost- Depending upon the material used and brands you opt for the prices differ.
Some of the top-rated Rat bedding options currently available in the market are:
1. Carefresh- This is one of the most favorite among the owners. It’s made from recyclable pulp which is eco-friendly and can be recycled after the use. Some fascinating features include odor control, good absorption power, health safety, and longevity.
2. Yesterday’s News – It’s a material made of paper which has no scent or added chemical hence very good for your pet ‘s health. The texture is very soft and fluffy and dust free. The absorption power is quite good and is reasonably priced.
3. Critter Care: This is made from wood pulp, it’s a dust-free, highly absorbent, and keeps the cage dry and hygienic. This is a comparatively expensive but a very trusted brand.
Other brands include Kaytee paper bedding, Back2Nature which can be combined with other beddings to get effective results. Even Rabbit food can be used as rat care bedding. The rabbit food is made up of alfalfa and hay of timothy that compresses into a form of pallets. An effective bedding option, on getting wet it expands and absorbs the moisture. The foul odor gets into control due to the smell of alfalfa and timothy.
To increase the life of bedding, it is helpful to have litter box placed in the cage on a side. These intelligent creatures can be very easily litter trained. Usually, litter container can be made of corncob, sweet scoops or walnut shells. It is advisable to have different color and texture of these boxes so that the little one can easily identify it.
Rats can very easily catch infections especially respiratory problems which affect their overall lifespan. Hence, we should be conscious in maintaining their hygiene by regularly washing the cage with disinfectant as well as closely monitor their action for any unhealthy indications. Sometimes rats are allergic which cause sneezing and lethargy. In case any such reaction its safer to use old clothes to comfort the little one instead of fancy bedding options available in the market.